Thursday, December 15, 2011

It’s the Season of Giving

I’ve been feeling so happy this holiday!

Trader Joe’s is part of our weekend routine. It seems every Saturday we pop on down to T.J’s armed with our large re-usable shopping totes and smiles on our faces. We pick up a few staples, but what we really get excited for are their featured products. We picked up some Chocolate Covered Joe Joe’s (their version of the Oreo), and these sinfully delicious Fig Truffles.

The holidays always seem to bring out my crafty side, and this holiday I have managed to pick up a few new techniques to add to my “craft skills” resume. This year, a student of mine actually taught me how to make paper flowers through the art of origami. I had an inspiration to make these flowers and use them as bows on my Christmas gifts this year. Zack and I went hunting for origami paper at all of the local craft stores…..but origami paper is expensive! And I was really looking for holiday colors, which they just didn’t seem to carry. We came home and I was feeling pretty upset returning empty handed…….and then…….I had an idea! I used wrapping paper!

Here’s what they look like;

I also made these cute little Santa brownies for my co-workers. Aren’t they adorable?

Zack and I went to drop off our donations for the family we adopted from an abused deaf women’s shelter the other day. It warmed our hearts to do this special thing for this family. We walked away feeling as if we were lifted up on a cloud and having a deep desire that we could do more. And this Saturday we are meeting another family we adopted through a wounded soldier program. We had such a wonderful time shopping and picking out items to give to these families that we ended up enjoying shopping for their needs more than our own families. It helped us reflect on what is important during the holidays; family, friends, security, and a sense of feeling safe and loved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment